Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Opposite of Hallelujah

I thought I knew what I was going to write but I’ve just watched the cursor go fleeing backwards through so many opening lines. I think there was going to be a mention of Rufus Wainwright having just put him on the stereo, but then that would be the third such blog entry. Such tedium. I should at least vary it by talking about sweet devastation brought on by Jens Lekman’s Night Falls Over Kortedala. Oh Jens, what a record.

Right now I have double blog-guilt; remorse for not writing and shame for trying, after Nobel prize winner Doris Lessing’s recent espousal of fears that the internet is turning us all into filthy time-wasting blog-addicts. Don’t worry, Doris. Be comforted that my trusty old version of Word still turns up its nose in a red sneer at the expression. Stephen Fry calls them Blessays, which is much nicer but then he writes about important things in beautiful ways and I just og.

I have a cough, which I find quite exciting because it seems so old fashioned. A slightly exaggerated splutter and I imagine I could be a Victorian oik hawking up under the gaslight, bristling with TB. I don’t think my flatmate is so entranced.

This has been a bit of an odd time for me lately. A rest was certainly in order after the touring but finding something substantial to fill my life with hasn’t been that easy. Even now I’m trying to write myself to sleep. I have been to see tons of films which is a nice distraction but probably not up there with building human relationships or helping the disadvantaged in when it comes to making something of your life. I tend to avoid my flatmate in case she asks me what I’ve been up to when the answer is always ‘failing to get a job’. We have begun work on new songs so perhaps I will feel a little less useless soon.

I think Doris would want me to go to sleep now. Or at least to og off.

Carey xx

10 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Night Falls Over Kortedala is such a fantastic CD. We had the pleasure of seeing Mr Lekman supporting Josh Rouse last week and he was entrancing. His iPod failed him and he ended up ditching technology and singing unplugged to a surprisingly hushed audience considering that he was just the support.

See you at the ABC. Don't have nightmares - it will be fantastic!

Orynthia
x

9:00 pm  
Blogger Spume said...

I'm not sure how these things work, but I want you to know that your band is one of the things that gets me through having to write books.Which is my job. And I also want you to know that I am a Trustee of a music festival in Wales,called Sheep Music, and that we have a meeting tonight about next years event, and that I wasn't sure that we should do it. But when I hear your band, I know that it is worth putting on live music; and that I'm going to move heaven and earth to get you to play at our festival...

5:24 pm  
Blogger Spike said...

I got Night Falls Over Kortedala for Christmas - woohoo! For a month or more I've been listening to several songs from it downloaded from blogs and the whole thing is bloody marvellous!

P.S. Happy new year

6:12 pm  
Blogger violette said...

I'm also a writer, and let me tell you--you make my days a lot lighter and happier.

Your music (which I discovered just a few months ago) really pulls at my heart strings in a nice way.

I usually come into work and put you on straight away. Thanks for putting your music and yourself out there. It's delectable deliciousness. When I hear your band, I'm reminded that there is music out there that really hits my soul.

3:52 pm  
Blogger Parisian Cowboy said...

Jens record is great. Much love from France.

8:13 pm  
Blogger donchisciotte said...

happy new year CAMERA OBSCURA!c'mon see my blog at aconfederacyofdunces.splinder.com

12:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've always have had, a doubt about who my favorite band,and i have a year listening to you guys,and i've got to tell you,that you're amazing!

Please come again to Mexico,i didn't get a chance to see you guys!
i'll be lookig forward
you've got all my support!

5:45 am  
Blogger Sara said...

Listening to Under Achievers Please Try Harder and thought I'd take a look at your site. Love your music. Noticed you played a show in my hometown, Kalamazoo, MI in 2007. Shit, if you can play in Kazoo any chance you'd play in Bozeman, MT my current locale? Would love to get more good live music out here. Anyhow, here's to a great 2008.

Sara

8:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all must enjoy the marathon that touring/playing/visiting the U.S. (or any other country) can be, considering your three tours here. Thank you. The logistics of moving a band the size of C.O. from place to place around the world, or even around Glasgow must be daunting to say the least. We are all glad you actually do get here, there and everywhere to play live. I hope someday soon you'll put all those great videos together onto a DVD for us all, and for posterity. It would be a good way to introduce your music to future fans who just haven't heard you yet.

10:15 am  
Blogger wally said...

that album is awesome. you should check also Bon Iver`s "For Emma Forever Ago" (album of 2007 in my opinion).

4:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home